The Class 108 railcars were introduced in 1959 and were an improved version of the very first leightweight units which first made an appearance in 1954. Unlike the earlier cars they were fitted with steel cabs but retained aluminium sides and backs. Six batches were produced and 56223 is from the fifth batch of 50 two-car sets which were built for the London Midland Region. It is easy to tell the difference between 56223 and the other 108 trailer car in the fleet 54490, 56223 is doesn’t have the four character headcode box fitted.
This vehicle was allocated new to Llandudno Junction Shed (6G) but moved on to Bletchley (1E) in 1960 and again to Chester (6A) in 1966 and Longsight(Manchester) in 1968. It ended its career at Old Oak Common Shed, near London, in June 1993 and passed into preservation.